After tracking the business for several years, Nordic Capital’s strong local relationships in Finland helped gain access to an exclusive process to acquire Tokmanni in 2012. A local presence and the ability to communicate with native Finnish speaking investment professionals proved critical to the successful completion of the transaction. In addition, an attractive debt package was secured to support the acquisition as a result of Nordic Capital’s strong relationships with local lenders.
- Continued room for expansion following a trend shift from high street to discount retail in Finland.
- Scope for major operational improvement across the organisation.
- Significant margin improvement opportunity identified from increased direct sourcing and private label.
- Opportunity to develop and improve standardised in-store concepts and enhance product range.
- Potential to unify eight different predecessor brands under the Tokmanni brand to drive nationwide marketing and develop customer loyalty.
Early preparation commenced in 2013, with Nordic Capital working to communicate Tokmanni’s equity story and to position the business as the clear market leader in the structurally attractive Finnish discount market.
In April 2016, Tokmanni was successfully listed on Nasdaq Helsinki at an equity value of approximately EUR 394 million. The share price developed positively following the IPO, increasing by 55% between listing and March 2017.
The successful listing and strong subsequent share price performance reflect the strength of Tokmanni’s business and the significant improvements implemented during Nordic Capital’s ownership.
This information was updated on [date]